Arbutin Market: Plant Derived Skin Lightening Agent
- Arbutin, also known as glycosylated hydroquinone, is mainly derived from leaves of fruits such as pear, bearberry, and cranberry.
- Arbutin is widely used in a variety of cosmetics such as creams, lotions, cleansers, and serums. When used as a skin lightening agent in cosmetic products, it slowly releases hydroquinone through hydrolysis. This reduces skin’s pigmentation production by blocking tyrosinase activity. Arbutin is also used in pharmaceutical applications. For instance, it is used in the manufacture of drugs for treating urinary tract infections.
- Arbutin is either derived naturally from plants or synthetically produced through chemical reactions. Synthetically derived arbutin also known as deoxyarbutin and is more effective than the natural derivative in the skin brightening treatment.
- Arbutin is available in two different forms: alpha-arbutin and beta-arbutin. Alpha-arbutin is a most popular form available in the market. Alpha-arbutin is a bio-synthetic and functional active ingredient found in most skin lightening products. Alpha-arbutin is nine times more effective than beta-arbutin in vivo and vitro environment.
Key Drivers of Arbutin Market
- Rise in demand for natural ingredients in cosmetic products and increase in demand for skin lightening products are driving the global arbutin market
- Alpha-arbutin reduces skin tanning after UV exposure. In addition, it aids in lightening skin tone by minimizing dark spots. Arbutin finds application in BB/CC creams, age spot treatment, skin lightening products, and skin tone care products.
- Rise in disposable income due to the improvement in economic conditions in developing economies; changes in lifestyle; and varying climatic conditions are boosting the demand for skin and sun care products. This, in turn, is propelling the arbutin market.
Pharmaceutical Segment and Increase in Demand for Natural and Herbal Cosmetic Products to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Rise in demand for organic and natural beauty products, typically in the U.S. and European economies, is expected to create lucrative opportunities for manufacturers of arbutin
- Increase in demand for arbutin in pharmaceuticals due to its excellent antioxidant properties is also estimated to create lucrative opportunities for manufacturers in the near future
Potential Risk of Hydroquinone to Cause Cancer May Hamper Arbutin Market
- Arbutin is a glycosylated hydroquinone, which has similar cancer risk potential as that of hydroquinone at same concentration level. Hydroquinone has been declared as a carcinogen by the FDA.
- Arbutin has fewer side effects than hydroquinone and is considered safe and effective in promoting skin brightening and an even skin tone. This may boost the market during the forecast period.
Market in Asia Pacific Expected to Expand at Significant Pace
In terms of region, the global arbutin market can be split into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- North America is a leading consumer of arbutin, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. Rising consumer preference for environment-friendly products, such as natural and organic beauty products, has compelled many cosmetic manufacturers in the U.S. such as Garnier and L’Oreal to produce advanced cosmetic products. This is expected to fuel the market in North America during the forecast period.
- Europe was also one of the prominent regions in terms of consumption of arbutin in 2018. Rise in geriatric population and increase in regulations to minimize the usage of synthetic ingredients in cosmetic products are likely to fuel the Arbutin market in the region during the forecast period.
- The Arbutin market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to the rise in GDP, per capita income, and change in lifestyle standards. Rise in geriatric population in Japan and growth in trend of using natural and organic skin care products across developing economies such as China, India, and Malaysia are expected to boost the market during the forecast period.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Arbutin Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Players in Arbutin Market:
Key players operating in the global arbutin market include
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- GLICO NUTRITION CO., LTD.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- DECIEM INC.
- Croda International Plc.
- Shiseido Company
- CAYMAN CHEMICAL
- Kowa India Pvt. Ltd
- Shaanxi Dongyu Bio-Tech Co.,Ltd
- Hangzhou Lianzheng Chemical Co., Ltd
- Kraeber & Co GmbH
- Plamed Green Science Group
- Hunan Xiangmin Pharmaceutical Company Ltd